Whether you’re moving house yourself or moving with the help of a professional removalist then you’ll need to prepare your washing machine ready for removal.
Although most Aussies own washing machines and clothes dryers, they’re not considered an easy item to move. For one thing, they’re heavy and bulky and for another, they don’t come with casters for easy moving. For this reason, they need to be prepared carefully, and require specialist removal equipment and handling to get them safely to their new destination.
Whatever type of washing machine you’ve got it’s important to have it ready before the removalist truck arrives. We’d suggest starting a couple of weeks before your removal date as that will give you time to a) locate your owner’s manual and b) order any parts you may need prior to removal.
While we’re on the subject of owner’s manuals, the first thing to do is to take a look and read the recommendations of the manufacturer for moving your machine. If you can’t find the owner’s manual then try doing a Google search by typing the brand name and model followed by “owners manual.” If that doesn’t work you may be able to find a local appliance repair company that can order you a copy. Unless your manual says otherwise these are the next steps to take:
- Run your empty washing machine through a normal cycle only swap detergent for bleach or white vinegar. This removes any detergent residue and leaves your drum nice and clean. Now leave your machine door open to allow it to dry.
- Turn off the water supply by twisting the hot and cold water supply valves in a clockwise direction. (You’ll find these behind your washing machine).
- Unplug your power source and wrap your cord securing it tightly with string or tape.
- Disconnect the hoses from the valves making sure you have a bucket handy in case there’s still some water left in them.
- Disconnect the hoses from the washing machine as well as the drain hose at the back.
- Give the outside of your machine a good clean.
- Install washer locks – this is where your owner’s manual will come in handy since it will tell you precisely how to prepare your particular machine for transport. Usually, you need to install washer locks that keep the drum and other parts in place. If you don’t have the original locks that came with your machine then you can purchase them from the manufacturer.
Now that’s done all that’s left is for your removalist to secure your machine securely in the truck.
We provide all the necessary trolleys and lifting equipment, as well as furniture pads and straps to secure your furniture and appliances safely. If you’re looking for a Brisbane removalist that works for you and not themselves then call Scotty’s today on 1300 669 409 for a free no-obligation quote.
Contact Scotty's The Movers Today for a Free Quote